Speakeasy Style Prohibition Party

One of the reasons we've been so busy is because we were getting ready for Chris' big 30th birthday bash.


To celebrate Chris and his best friend Tyson entering their dirty thirties, we decide to throw a prohibition style party, complete with all the home brew our friends could drink.

As you may have noticed in my last post, we've been making our own beer and wine for several months to stock up for the party.

156 bottles in the back of Bertha

We couldn't fit a party of this scale in our small apartment, and renting a hall was out since we didn't qualify for a liquor license (in Ontario you can only serve homemade wine and beer in a private residence or at a religious ceremony) but a fantastic friend came through for us and offered to host the shindig in his condo's party room.

Bonnie & Clyde?

We kept the location a secret until the day before the party and, in true speakeasy style, guests had to tell the doorman the password to get in.

All our friends looked fantastic with their feather boas and fedoras! I found an 80s dress at Ragtime that I was able to modify and pinned up my hair in finger curls. Chris got a vest from Value Village and rocked a bow tie and driving cap.


To set the mood, we projected clips of 1920s and 30s nightclub acts (like this) onto the wall and mixed jazz era music with more modern bluesy tunes. I broke out all my silver serving trays, vintage martini shakers, and the chocolate fountain. The chocolate fountain wasn't very true to the theme, but it was delicious.

My one regret is that we left it too late and didn't end up getting the roulette table I wanted to rent. I think everyone had a great time but it would have been awesome to mix in gambling and drinking games!

Comments

Megs said…
Wow, I bet it was a totally KICK-ASS party!!! Please wish Chris a Happy Birthday for me and I hope his dirty thirties will be even better than the roaring twenties!

Popular posts from this blog

Flash's Guardians of the Galaxy Birthday Party

More Pop Bottle Inspiration